Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Short short stories - The entire tale in 2 minutes

Train Robbery


            "They'll remember you as Baby Face Tommy," the tall one said. 
         He had just been discharged from the Army after the war and looked huge and threatening in his wrinkled old uniform.  Tommy twisted his face into a fierce glare that dramatized his intention to use the six-gun.  He had practiced looking mean to make up for his small size.  They robbed from seat to seat in one car after another.  Tommy held a gun on the passengers and the soldier did the talking and scooped up the loot.
            She startled, "Hi, Tommy."
            "Sorry to wake you Ma'am," the soldier said softly.  "I get off in Denver."
            "Mommy look, I got seventy-six cents," Tommy announced.  "Sergeant and I robbed the train.  We said, 'Stick 'em up!'"
            "Just playing, Ma'am.  Hope it was alright.  Mostly we robbed my buddies."
          "Thank you Sergeant.  Long day on this train with a six-year old . . . I really needed the  nap."
            "My pleasure Ma'am.  I didn't spend any time with kids in Korea.  I sure missed 'em.  Tommy's a fine boy."
            The Sergeant got off in Denver and Tommy sat beside his mother and spun the cylinder on his toy pistol.  Outside Tommy's window, the Sergeant ran to a woman on the platform holding a small boy and enveloped them in his huge embrace.  Before the train left the station Tommy counted his pocket full of pennies for the third time.

No comments:

Post a Comment